formality question
cricketlover
2005-06-01 22:09:28 UTC
I am not sure if this is the right place to put this question. I have a
question about the formality tool from synopsis. If someone knows of a
better google group to post this message, please let me know.

The match and verify portion of formality's report sometimes reports
some "Unmatched unread points". Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks.
Alvin Andries
2005-06-15 19:36:16 UTC
Post by cricketlover
I am not sure if this is the right place to put this question. I have a
question about the formality tool from synopsis. If someone knows of a
better google group to post this message, please let me know.
The match and verify portion of formality's report sometimes reports
some "Unmatched unread points". Does anyone know what this means?
Thanks.
Hi,

An unread point is a point (mostly a register) that is not used by your
code. You might for instance compute a sum and register it but in the next
stage, you use only the most significant bits, so the least significant bits
become unread.
Unmatched means that Formality couldn't match it with a register in the
implementation design. Typically, this is because your synthesis tool has
removed the unread register (you can tell most tools to leave those
registers, but normally you don't want this).
So the real question is: did you expect the unread unmatched point(s) to be
unread? If so, all is fine, if not, check your code. Having said this, the
only place where this could matter is with some RAM BIST insertion flows
where cores might be inserted but only be connected later in the flow.

I hope this helped, if not, call your Formality FAE or check solvnet.

Regards,
Alvin Andries.